We know that stress plays a big role in provoking the nail biting habit. Whether it's unhappy co-workers, a dominating boss, too much overtime, or too heavy of a workload; stress can come from many sources at work, often from several angles at once.
So the workplace can be a huge stressor in everyone's life, but there are ways to decompress at work! Try these 5 techniques for avoiding or subduing stress in the workplace:
- Go outside and take a walk. Even a 5 minute stroll around the building can reduce your stress by taking your mind off of business and clear your senses. Alternately, ask your boss if you and your team can have a walking meeting! Fresh air does wonders for creativity.
- Grab a big glass of water. Not only do you get to walk away from your desk to decompress, but staying hydrated has the added benefit of boosting your immune system, aiding digestion, and keeping you away from sodas and juices which can help your waistline.
- Make good food choices. That new burrito place around the corner sounds promising, but big meals and large sugary changes can make you lethargic and irritable. Eating smaller, more frequent meals keeps you alert, satiated, and balanced. Focus on healthy fats and proteins, like avocados and grilled chicken. If you're able, taking some time to yourself over your lunch break to decompress is also incredibly beneficial in allowing you to regroup and focus on you.
- Create time management schedules. Staying organized and on top of tasks is the key to a well functioning workplace. Unexpected circumstances will always arise, but knowing how to work around them with elegant solutions is vital.
- Get a good night’s rest. Of course we might not be able to get 8 hours of sleep each night with the baby fussing or the neighbor’s dog barking at 6am, but trying to get as much as you can will improve your mood and your metabolism.
So how do you all avoid stress at work? Any advice on game plans that have worked for you?
Lists are my saving grace! I have so much on my plate with my 2 year old and full time work, I have to write down everything I need to do, otherwise it’s overwhelming. Got to get it down on paper, then I can strategize how to get it all done.
Wish I could take a company walk, but alas, I work retail. The sleep suggestion is good, though. Gotta work on that!